When I fall asleep at night, I often find myself suddenly in an amazing world. A world where anger and hatred are overpowered by love. A place filled with compassion and mercy, and people who truly show that they are made in the image of God. And when someone is mourning, the people around them provide comfort and sympathy. When someone is rejoicing, their neighbors rejoice with them. This is a world that lacks loneliness, depression, torment and unfair judgment. Would you believe me if I told you that this Heaven on Earth is achievable? I am convinced that if every Jesus Follower made it their mission to show God’s love to others, we would have a much better world to live in.
When most of us think about “mission,” we think about mission trips, or going somewhere to complete a task for someone else’s benefit. While week-long mission trips and projects are good, I wonder what would happen if we made every day a mission trip. When Jesus told us to go and make disciples (Matthew 28:19), he called his followers to live lives of commitment, working daily to reach new people for him every day. This must have taken intentional planning of each day and a lifestyle of mission! So, when we think of mission as a project, we aren’t living the lives Jesus called us to live when he told us to “GO and MAKE disciples.”
Too often do we overlook someone who is in need of not only physical care, but also spiritual care. The reasons for this range from being too tired, too busy, too scared, etc. But most of the time, we are simply oblivious to the people that God places around us. We have forgotten that being a disciple of Jesus requires us to make more disciples by loving, caring for, helping, serving and TALKING TO people everywhere we go. I think we can do way better than we have been and I KNOW that if we do, this world will change right before our eyes in a powerful, totally cool, God-pleasing way!
For the next 30 days, I invite you to view your schools, workplaces, families, grocery stores, bus stops, neighborhoods, sports practices, and anywhere else you may go – even your churches – as a mission field, and allow God to use you to reach, love and serve on a daily basis. I invite you to take Jesus’s words seriously and really put some action and intention into GOING and MAKING disciples.
Here are some examples of how to do so. This is just a START! I want to hear how you will reach out to people every day. Let’s use #SmallStepsBigImpact to tell our stories on social media!
- Start a Bible study in your school or neighborhood! Your friends and neighbors want to know more about who Jesus is, and they would love to talk about that in a comfortable setting. Start with the basics and make it fun! Start with a small group and watch the impact grow!
- Lend a hand! If your neighbor is working on his car, offer to help. If your friend struggles with a school subject that you are good at, offer to tutor them. If there is a kid at school who doesn’t fit in, be their friend. When a person you know is going through hard times in their life, don’t simply say “Good luck with that.” Instead say “How can I pray with you?” or “How can I help?” and work hard to help them in their time of need. When they ask why you’re helping, tell them because Jesus told you to (or something like that)! Small efforts to lend a hand in Jesus’s name make a big impact because people will see him working through your life. That makes Jesus real to people who don’t know him! These small tasks will make a big impression!
- Show love to those who treat you unfairly. They will definitely notice your response! If you have a chance to talk with that person, help them to know more about you and let them know you want to know more about them. This small effort will make a big impact.
- Be kind and patient when someone is frustrating you. Pray for that person and reach out to them to try to understand them better. Replace your everyday irritations with a smile. Your smile may be the only one people see today! This small step to resolve frustrations will have a big impact on you AND the other person.
- Value people and treat everyone like they are important – even and especially people who are different than you. After all, isn’t every human a child of God? When someone talks to you, look at them. Put your phone away during a conversation. Give them your undivided attention and thank them for their time. Tell them that they matter to you and God! This small gesture of kindness will make a big difference in someone’s life!
- Be REAL! The best way to bring people to God, is to simply radiate Christ throughout your entire being. This means walking, talking, living, and loving like Him. This is no small task but it is one of the most important things you can do to make a big difference!
When you take the steps to do these things, not only will you impact a life, but also the entire world! Just imagine what would happen if every Christian did this? Would we live in that beautiful world that I know is possible? Would everyone’s lives be touched by God? There’s only one way to find out!
Keep in touch! Please let me know you’ve accepted this challenge and let’s use #SmallStepsBigImpact to tell our stories on social media!
I CAN’T WAIT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
PS: Remember, we aren’t doing this alone! We have God and each other!
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore GO and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20